- 01-Feb-2017 to 20-Mar-2017 (PST)
- Harrodsburg, KY, USA
- $8.50-$10 per hour
- Part Time
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (SVPH) is on a mission to inspire generations through DISCOVERY, by sharing the legacies of the Kentucky Shakers. SVPH is committed to bridging historic preservation, land conservation, engaged learning and warm hospitality to present an unrivaled destination experience.
Shaker Village Program Department
Shaker Village is dedicated to sharing Shaker lessons in community, sustainability, and ingenuity through engaging public programming, special events, workshops, and other activities. The Program Department leads public programs for site visitors along with community outreach. Program themes are interdisciplinary, and while department staff have areas of focus and expertise, themes from the Farm, the Preserve, the Kentucky River and the Historic Centre are interwoven into all programs, sharing the legacy of the Kentucky Shakers and the operations of the SVPH today.
This position will share entertaining educational and recreational programs with guests through the Today daily experience schedule, group tours and special events.
- Lead daily programs and tours, providing guests with an extraordinary experience
- Daily programs involve presentations and hands-on activities, and may take place in the Historic Centre, Farm, Preserve, or Dixie Belle river boat
- Consistently engage guests with friendliness, enthusiasm and understanding
- Ensure a clean, safe environment for all guests and staff, including completion of daily cleaning responsibilities in assigned program / exhibit spaces
- Master the content of program lesson plans
- Familiarize yourself with all guest services at SVPH
- Familiarize yourself with natural landscape and resources of SVPH
- Assist in the implementation of special events and programs as needed
- Open and close historic buildings and exhibits as assigned, meeting standards of museum practice set forth by Shaker Village
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be a self-motivator and be willing to learn new skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Positive attitude, problem solving and flexibility
- Ability to work enthusiastically with a wide demographic of guests, including youth, families and adults
- Ability to work in a collaborative team structure
- Show flexibility and creativity in support of all Shaker Village activities.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field, with relevant professional or performance experience preferred
- Experience presenting educational programming to the public, including youth and groups
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell
- Frequently required to stand and walk for at least an hour at a time; occasionally sit and climb or balance
- Specific vision ability required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. and lift and/or move heavier loads with a team as needed.
- Must know how to swim (Riverboat tours, events and programs).
Working Environment and Conditions
- Regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions
- Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions
- This position requires working weekends and some evenings
- This position may work on programming around large, live animals
- This position may work on our river boat and must know how to swim
- This position is subject to a background check and drug testing
- Share this Page