- 01-Feb-2017 to 31-Mar-2017 (PST)
- Harrodsburg, KY, USA
- Full Time
Health, Dental, Life & AD&D, 401K, vacation and PTO
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (SVPH) is on a mission to inspire generations through DISCOVERY, by sharing the legacies of the Kentucky Shakers. SVPH is committed to bridging historic preservation, land conservation, engaged learning and warm hospitality to present an unrivaled destination experience.
Home to the third largest Shaker community in the United States from 1805 until 1910, SVPH manages the country's largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky. Onsite amenities at SVPH include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, event and meeting venues, riverboat rides, historical exhibitions and tours, farm and garden area, nature preserve, multi-use trail system, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
Shaker Village Development Department
The Development Department supports the mission of Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill by giving individuals and organizations the opportunity to preserve our heritage and inspire generations through their generous gifts of time, talent and treasure.
Reporting to and partnering with the President/CEO, the Director of Development (DOD) will foster a culture of philanthropy within the organization. The DOD will assure that the organization's systems and procedures support fund development and will lead staff and volunteers to institutionalize fundraising within the organization. As a member of the senior leadership team, the DOD will work closely with the Development and Capital Campaign Committees of the Board of Trustees', and be an active participant in, and driver of, the organization's overall fundraising strategy. The DOD coordinates with the Capital Campaign Director and supervises the development staff.
- Plans, coordinates and assures implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support SVPH.
- Develops and maintains systems to manage fund development, including, but not limited to: volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, annual and major gift processing and recognition.
- Collaborates and coordinates with the Capital Campaign Director and Campaign Committee to ensure seamless approach to fundraising for annual and campaign support.
- Helps develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable SVPH to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Monitors fundraising performance by measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances.
- Ensures that fundraising is carried out in keeping with the organization's values, mission, vision and strategic plans.
- Oversees and coordinates all grant applications, ensuring appropriate focus, format, content, reporting and adherence to stated guidelines of grant provider.
- Reports fundraising results status to the President/CEO, Board and management teams by developing forecasts, reporting results, analyzing variances and developing improvements.
- Provides vital input in short and long-term strategic and operational planning.
- Appropriately represents the organization, its Board and the President/CEO to donors, prospects, regulators, and volunteers.
- Updates job knowledge by remaining aware of new compliance standards and regulations; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes human resource strategies for the development team by determining roles; communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures; implementing recruitment, selection, orientation, training, coaching, disciplinary, and communication programs; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation strategies.
- Accomplishes development and organization mission by completing related results and performs other duties as directed and assigned by management.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of best practices in development.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing fundraising campaigns and initiatives, including: capital campaigns, annual giving campaigns and planned giving initiatives.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player who is committed to lifelong learning.
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- Strong commitment to developing team members.
- Demonstrated commitment to the organization's mission is essential.
Education and Experience
- A seasoned and mature leader with at least 5 years of broad development experience
- Bachelor's Degree required; a Master's Degree would be preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred.
- Experience with Raiser's Edge or similar advanced development software.
- Staff management experience, including human resource processes, preferred.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Analyze and interpret data.
- Maintain concentration with time pressures and interruptions.
- Ability to maintain visual attention for a considerable length of time.
- Frequently required to sit and stand for a considerable length of time.
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 25 lbs. as needed.
Working Environment and Conditions:
- This position will require working some weekends and evenings.
- Noise level is usually moderate to an office/meeting environment.
- Occasional domestic air travel.
- Frequent travel by car.
- Share this Page