- 10-Jan-2017 to 06-Mar-2017 (PST)
- Harrodsburg, KY, USA
- Full Time
Full-time with benefits (Insurance, 401k, vacation, PTO)
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill:
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (SVPH) is on a mission to inspire generations through DISCOVERY, by sharing the legacies of the Kentucky Shakers. SVPH is committed to bridging historic preservation, land conservation, engaged learning and warm hospitality to present an unrivaled destination experience.
Home to the third largest Shaker community in the United States from 1805 until 1910, SVPH manages the country's largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky. Onsite amenities at SVPH include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, event and meeting venues, riverboat rides, historical exhibitions and tours, farm and garden area, nature preserve, multi-use trail system, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
Summary of requirements:
The Equine and Stable Coordinator is responsible for driving the Shaker Village horse drawn wagon for guest rides and the daily care and conditioning of The Farm's draft horses. The position coordinates the public use of The Stable, including monitoring and maintaining parking, stalls, pastures, paddocks and pens for daily riders and overnight boarders.
- Provide public wagon rides to guests, including driving teams Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from April through October, and as needed at other times
- Lead the care and training of Shaker Village horses, including grooming, harnessing, hitching, driving and other barn chores
- Follow best standards and practices of horse/driving training, management and safety
- Responsible for the health and safety of the horses, passengers and the public; and for maintaining wagon and carriage
- Coordinate and maintain The Stable, including stalls, pastures, paddocks, pens, parking and other stable facilities
- Coordinate stable processes and procedures, including checking on rider waivers for payment, assisting with lost riders, cleaning of stalls, keeping stable neat and organized and working with accounting to deliver/process property usage waivers
- Assist with other farm work, demonstrations and public education as needed
- Role model teamwork and great guest service while interacting with the public in a friendly and engaging manner
- Ensure work area and equipment are in safe and reliable working order
Qualifications/Standards of Performance
- Willing to learn and work toward the mission statement of Shaker Village.
- Must have experience driving horses with a carriage in a public setting.
- Expert knowledge of horses, harnessing and carriages.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills. Impromptu conversation skills are essential in this position.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Responsibility and punctuality.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms.
- Perform physical activities such as bending, stooping, climbing and walking.
- Frequently required to sit, stand and walk.
- Specific vision ability required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
Working Environment and Conditions:
- Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Noise level is usually low.
- This job requires working evenings and weekends.
- Exposure to grass and hay.
- Inherent risk of working with large animals.
- Share this Page